Teacher Not Following the IEP

I don’t believe the teacher is following my child’s IEP. What should I do?

It’s important that everyone working with your child is on the same page when it comes to following an IEP.  If you feel that your child is not receiving the accommodations and the special services that are written out; there are several steps to take.  Here are four steps I recommend.

1.  The first one would be to ask for an IEP review with your child’s Guidance Counselor.  Make sure everyone goes over the entire document; what are the special services?  What accommodations are written into the IEP?   Also make sure that all of your child’s teachers have a copy-this is the responsibility of the LEA or Local Educational Authority.  In most cases, this is the school counselor.

2.  After you have had the meeting and you still feel things are not being followed, call the county office liaison for ESE placements-this is either called a Program Specialist or perhaps a Staffing Specialist.  A Parent Advocate may be available also to help you out.

3.  The next step would be the Director, asking for assistance in finding out why the IEP isn’t being followed.

4.  Finally, if all else fails, you have the right to file a Due process or call in a complaint to the Department of Education, Bureau of Exceptional Student Education.  As a parent, always make sure you have a copy of the most recent IEP so you can keep on top of any problems.